DIY Dining Table

November 18, 2011, In: creative DIY ideas

A while back I wrote about Ana White and her blog full of fun wood working ideas. Today, I am super excited to finally share some of our completed projects.

The first piece we worked on was our dining table. I have lived without one for so long I thought it was high time we had a proper place to sit for meals and to gather when friends came over. There are a bunch of table plans on the site, but nothing really stood out at us. So we modified a coffee table plan and turned it into a table. A bit ambitious for our first projects, but we’re adventurous like that.

So without further ado, here is the Tryde Dining Table.

How to make a wood dining table

Here’s a close up:

How to make a dining table

This was a really fun project to work on with Brett. Since we are always on our computers, it was a really nice change of pace to be outside working with our hands. It was also a really nice way to meet our neighbors since we were working in the garage for many hours over several days.

Here is the progress of building the table:

Sanding the table:

And staining the table. I had no idea how time consuming this step would be. I put on 1 coat of pre-stain wood primer, 3 coats of stain and 3 coats of polyurethane.

We are thrilled with how it turned out! Now, we just need to have our first dinner party. I’ll post the step-by-step plans for building the table soon.

UPDATE: Here’s a link to the detailed DIY dining table plans

I’m linking at:

Miss Mustard Seed
Roca & Company
Skip to my Lou
The Girl Creative
Making the World Cuter
Home Stories A2Z
Today’s Creative Blog
A Bowl Full of Lemons

• January 23, 2015

is it possible that i can have the measurement of the table and bench. thanks

• Javier
    • June 18, 2014

My wife and I have fallen in love witn your table and would like to build one for our newly renovated deck. Any ideas on waterproofing it for the long haul!

For good waterproofing, I would stain and polyurethane all of the boards individually before assembling. That should protect them and all the little nooks and crannies you'll have at the joints where the water could seep in.

• Patrick
    • January 30, 2014

What kind of wood did you end up using? The stain also is a great color…

Thanks! We used the standard boards at Home Depot and I think they were all pine. The stain is Jacobean and we really love how it turned out.

• Kandi
    • January 29, 2013

Does the top coats of polyurethane seal the cracks?

It does not seal the spaces between the boards, but seals the outside surfaces well.

• Jake
    • September 3, 2012

Plans! Pretty please, this is my favorite DIY example I've come across on the net so far, would really appreciate it :)

• TRetzlaff
    • August 24, 2012

It looks awesome. Any word on the plans?

1. Pingback: How to make a Pottery Barn knock off dining table for a fraction of the price | Little Green Bow

• Danielle
    • May 28, 2012

This is FAB! We just moved into a new apartment and this would look great. Are you posting a pattern for this?

Thanks Danielle! I've had a few requests and am working on these now. Stay tuned!

• Gerahrd
    • April 10, 2012

I would like to see a step by step guide too

• vanessa
    • March 9, 2012

Where is the step by step guide?

2. Pingback: a dresser makeover – from red to… | Little Green Bow

3. Pingback: Little Green Bow Shows You How to Make Your Own Couch | Little Green Bow

Love it so I pinned it. Hope you can share your creativity, too, at my Creative Bloggers’ Party & Hop :)

5. Pingback: Tutes & Tips Not to Miss {37} | Home Stories A to Z

great job on the table. The table looks fabulous. Reminds me of a table Pottery Barn sells.

Thank you so much Cheryl!

The grain and finish is fantastic. I'm a huge Ana fan myself. She's saved me so much money! I've built a slew of her projects, but nothing from the Tryde line. I thought it wasn't my taste, but seeing how gorgeous your table turned out has changed my mind!

Thanks Brooke! I know – Ana's blog has been a great find. I really like your blog too. You have a great style. Looking forward to reading more.

We made a table alomost identical to yours!!! ;0
    Yours looks awesome!!!!!!! If you have a chance, check mine out!!

Looks great. Thanks for sharing.