When my mother-in-law came to visit back in October, my husband and I spent a really busy couple of weeks getting our apartment together. We had moved into a new 2-bedroom plus loft in August and pretty much ignored getting our place in order for the first two months while we were busy working. Then, time started running out and setting up our apartment became REALLY important. I mean, I couldn’t have my mother-in-law stay in an apartment that looked and felt as if we just graduated college.

So, we started a checklist and started making our way through it. One big project was figuring out where guests would sleep when they came to visit? The living room and loft do not provide enough privacy so they were out. And our second bedroom was already filled with desks, computers, and guitars so a real bed or even a futon would not fit. Then it hit me…we crafted our own dining table, so why not try to make our own sofa that could double as a guest bed? I headed to Ana White’s blog, but since the only couch was more of a storage couch, we took the basic idea and expanded on it.

And here’s how our couch turned out…

How to make a couch that converts to a bed

I LOVE IT! The color is neutral and it’s actually really comfy to sleep on. Mother-in-law approved!How to make your own sleeper couch

How to make a couch that converts to a bed

Here are the supplies we used to complete this project and some photos of it coming together. (Update: the detailed plans are available!)

Supplies:

• 6 – 2×4 boards
  • 2 – 2×6 boards
  • 2 – 2×2 boards
  • 24″ of 4×4 post
  • 2 sheets of plywood
  • 2 yards of batting
  • 2 yards of burlap
  • 2 paint drop cloths (9′x12′)
  • sand paper
  • stain
  • screws
  • staple gun
  • mitre saw
  • circular saw
  • foam mattress
  • 2 foam mattress toppers
How to make your own couch

The foam used for the seats - One foam hospital mattress cut to size and 2 foam queen mattress toppers cut in half

How to make your own couch

The frame of the couch - it's starting to come together

DIY couch

Burlap was attached to the back before the batting and fabric

How to make a DIY couch

The batting was attached to the back frame

How to make a diy sofa

The bottom seat gets upholstered with supports on the underside

make your own sofa

I sewed around where the supports would be and cut out the inside square before stapling to the bottom

make your own sleeper sofa

The top seat getting upholstered

Check back next week when I have the plans up. In fact, how about you subscribe so you don’t miss it? The plans are up! Check them out here.

I’m linking at:
Home Stories A2Z
Lamb Around
The Shabby Nest
Night Owl Crafting
Ask Anna
Decorating Insanity

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

67 comments on “the perfect fit diy couch

1. Rachel on said:

Wow!!! that is amazing!!!

2. Angela on said:

Awesome idea! My kids would much rather have this in their rooms than their beds! Love it!

~Angela
    Functional Friday

3. Wow, what an amazing diy couch! This would be the perfect spot for guests to crash if you don’t have a designated guest room. I’d love it if you came to share this at the Head to Head Showdown link party, going up tonight at 10. I hope to see you there! Jen @ www.icantstopcrafting.blogspot.com

4. How big of a bed is it when it is laid out? Like a full size?

• Deanna on said:

It's a queen size bed when laid out. In addition to one thick stiff foam mattress (on the top layer) used 2 queen size foam mattress toppers and cut them in half. One half was placed on the bottom and one half was placed on top so they would be even. The top one is actually memory foam so it's REALLY comfy.

5. Kristen on said:

Amazing! You are so talented. I love this!

6. Very cool! I love that you made this all yourselves. The fabric for the cover is perfect.

7. Wow that is very impressive. Well done.

8. Rebecca on said:

This is fabulous! I've pinned this and will be following you now. :)

9. This bed is amazing. Fantastic job!!

Ruth

10. Amazing! I would never thing to be so creative. Great job!

11. Awesome! Do you have a cost breakdown?

• Thanks! I'm working on a more detailed instruction post for this week and will make sure I include a cost breakdown. Thanks for the suggestion.

12. That is so cool! What a great idea!

13. Great job ! I love it !

14. Pingback: How to Make a DIY "Pull Out" Couch | Little Green Bow

15. shari lynne on said:

Wow! That is fantastic! you are very ambitious and creative! Thanksf or sharing:)

16. about how much would this cost to make?

• Deanna on said:

Hi Stacey,
      This project was pretty affordable only because I was able to find the foam on Craigslist and at garage sales. Foam from the retail store it REALLY expensive! I think we figured out it cost us just under $200 for everything. The big thick foam was from an in-home hospital bed mattress that I cut down using an exacto knife – should have used a big bread knife – (craigslist for $20) and the two mattress toppers were found at a garage sale for $30.

17. NighLon on said:

Hi! I'm a Sitsta! This is absolutely amazing. I have always wondered how to build a couch that doesn't look like a caveman built it. I'm so impressed. I will be back, and I will be building one of these! Thank you so much for sharing!

18. Pingback: Friday Inspiration Round Up Home Office Space | handmake my life

19. Monica on said:

I love this couch. So classic. Thank you so much for sharing at Furniture Friday.
    xo…mONICa

20. Pingback: diy marshmallows | Little Green Bow

21. Mazy on said:

This is EXACTLY what I was wanting to do with the Ana White storage couch plans as well!! My husband didn't seem to understand what I was talking about & said it couldn't be done….can't wait to show him your pictures :)
    My recent post Comet, It Makes You Vomit

22. Inspire Me Heather on said:

Your sofa bed looks fantastic – nice job!!! I have this linked to my sofas post as well today, you rock!
    My recent post project: sofas

23. Pingback: my SITS day is finally here! | Little Green Bow

24. Pingback: Deanna from Little Green Bow - The SITS Girls

25. morgan on said:

Wow! I'm so impressed!! I could see us using something like that in our basement/playroom/guest room, for certain!

Enjoy your SITS day!

My recent post Take a Number …

26. Jennifer Leigh on said:

Happy SITS Day! What a great idea and I love that you used burlap!
    My recent post Gluten Free Travel | Sandals Jamaica

• Deanna on said:

Thanks Jennifer! I was glad the burlap got covered up though because, to be honest, that stuff is a little stinky and messy.

27. Laura on said:

Wow. You are much more ambitious in the DIY area than I am. The sofa is beautiful. You said it it comfy to sleep on but I wondered if it was comfy to sit on? Happy SITS day.

• Deanna on said:

Thanks Laura. It is surprisingly comfortable to sit on. I will say it's squishier than a normal couch. Not sure I would want it as my main seating, but it's perfect in the office. I love to be able to read on it or have it for guests.

28. colleenieg on said:

Hi! Stopping by from SITS today. I love that couch. That's a bit too much project for me though. I'm horrible at measuring. I'm impressed!

29. Louise Ducote on said:

Y'all are amazing! I can't wait to show this to my husband. Hope you're enjoying your SITS day!
    My recent post That Deep Blue Sea

30. @HomeJobsbyMOM on said:

Awesome idea!! Looks like a project my husband would love.
    My recent post What Does Hull a Strawberry Mean?

31. littleblogdress on said:

How awesome!! Happy SITS Day!
    My recent post When Ex Employees Take Their Anger To Social Media

32. Classic NYer on said:

So clearly you're just much, much cooler than I am, because there's no way I would ever have pulled that off. Then again, I would have absolutely no problem inviting my mother in law to an apartment that looked like we just graduated college…

Happy SITS day!
    My recent post On “everyone else”

33. tiffanyvee on said:

AWESOME project!

34. @secretsofamom on said:

I cannot believe you guys made that! I would be so quick to buy something- never even imagining I could possible make something like that! Kudos to you guys!!!
    My recent post Suddenly Lance Armstrong!

35. Tammy on said:

That is absolutely amazing. I always dream about doing things like this but never have the nerve because I always think that it won't turn out like I imagine it.

36. Whitney on said:

Happy SITS day! I wish I had the patience and time for this, I can't find the time to make jewelry and I love doing that.
    My recent post Comment on An Intimate Night to Remember by Whitney

37. @Newmommabeckers on said:

Wow, that couch looks awesome!! You could sell that if you wanted to! Happy SITS day!!

38. ashleyinnc on said:

That is absolutely amazing! Happy SITS day! :)
    My recent post Baby Registry Item #1: Good Girlfriends

39. Tracy Larson on said:

Wow, that is amazing! Looks very comfortable. Love it!
    My recent post Why Can Men See a Bikini at the Beach But Can’t See the Milk in the Fridge?

40. misssrobin on said:

What an amazing project. Totally cool and beautiful. Great job.
    My recent post Why Doesn't the World Stop?

41. misssrobin on said:

What an amazing project. Totally cool and beautiful. Nice job!
    misssrobin recently posted..Why Doesn’t the World Stop?

42. Jean Lynd on said:

That’s so creative and completely awesome! Happy SITS day ;)
    Jean Lynd recently posted..Avoid this Peanut Butter! Yuck!

43. Kelly Stilwell on said:

This is awesome! It actually looks like something I could tackle! Great job:) Happy SITS Day!

44. lifethegreenway on said:

Wow, this is awesome! You did a great job. I'm a green blogger who loves to share DIY projects and tips, so I'm glad to connect with you. Happy SITS day!

45. This really does look amazing!! Any idea on the total cost to build?

46. jesterqueen on said:

How COOL is that? And it has the mother-in-law stamp of approval, so it must be OK!

47. Pingback: New Living Space | itsybitsybrianna

48. hannah on said:

Incredible !!!!! You did a fantastic job of creating such a great looking couch / bed. And you couldn't receive a better endorsement than your mother-in-law's approval
    Hannah

49. This is so awesome!!Do you think this would work with 2 twin mattresses? WE have 5 people living in a 2 bedroom home so we are always looking for ideas to give our 3 girls more space!

50. Wow this is exactly what I was looking for. I bought a sofa like this ions ago from IKEA, but they no longer sell it. So I was also thinking about making the sofa on Anna’s site minus the storage and making it a bed. You know you can make it so that both cushions are joined (not the foam but the upholstery) at the corners so that you can just flip the upper cushion down, and it will be one entire piece instead of two. This is the way that the one at IKEA was made. I plan to use your idea modified slightly so that it is all one piece. Thanks so much.

51. Deanna on said:

Thanks Rachel! Happy to link up. Loved your vanilla bean coffee recipe. Yum!

52. Deanna on said:

Thank you so much for the compliments and feature! I'm honored to be in such great company with the other projects. *smiles*