DIY Paint Chip Art Redo

February 3, 2012, In: creative DIY ideas

When we first moved into our apartment, I had no idea what to do for decorations in the guest bathroom. As our friend commented on move-in day, “it’s kind of a forest in there”. The walls are bright green, the shower tile is mostly creme with a dark green band, and the floor is accented with dark green diamond tiles. Thankfully the woodwork is white or it really would be a forest!

Then another friend suggested craft day and I whipped up a couple diy paint chip art pieces. I used varying shades of gray and green because I had no other decorations in there.

Then, last week, I found the perfect shower curtain at World Market. The color combination is great and it pulled together the green walls, creme tile, and gray-blue bathmat. Oh yea, I tried to dye an aqua rug gray and failed miserably! But, this shower curtain made my mistake look like I did it on purpose. And now I love it even more!

So with the new curtain, I needed to redo the artwork. Piece. of. cake. Stopped by home depot and a couple hours later, I have these beauties.

DIY Paint Chip Art

Super simple and super cute. I love how no two will ever be the same and I love that they are free, thanks to the wonderful paint suppliers at Home Depot.

No Cost Paint Chip Art

DIY artwork

For photos of how I put the previous ones together, check out the original post here.

I’m linking here:

Tatertots & Jello | Whipperberry | ShabbyNest | Be Different, Act Normal | I Can’t Stop Crafting | Lolly Jane Boutique | Family Ever After | The Creative Paige | 5 Days, 5 Ways | I Heart Nap Time | C.R.A.F.T | Sew Can Do | Lamb Around | Keeping It Simple | Under the Table & Dreaming | Skip to My Lou | Nifty Thrifty Things | Petite Hermine | Home Stories A2Z | Romance on a Dime | A Bowl Full of Lemons | Homework | Tip Junkie | Lil Luna | Ginger Snap Crafts | It’s Overflowing | Night Owl Crafting | The Shady Porch | Junk in Their Trunk | Uncommon | The Artsy Girl Connection | Fabulously Flawed | Delightful Order | Between U & Me | Vintage Mauve

1. Pingback: Making Monday Marvelous #93 »

2. Pingback: /%year%/%monthnum%/%postname%.html

Just wanted to let you know that you've been featured!

4. Pingback: Mauvin' Monday #6 Link Party | vintagemauve.com | home decor, diy, inspiration, and more

What a fantastic idea! I think you did a wonderful job! :) Megan

Love this idea! I have so many paint chips too! Now you've given me a great idea of what to do with them! :-)
    Thanks for linking up to Mauvin' Monday!

Your newest Linky Follower,
    Jessica

This looks awesome. Great job with the paint chips and love the shower curtain.

• Aimee
    • February 14, 2012

Love this!!! Thanks for sharing at my party!!! Happy Valentine’s Day!!! XO, Aimee

• katie
    • February 10, 2012

That looks so cool! You should join me for Handmade 52! http://raisingoranges.blogspot.com/ -Katie

8. Pingback: How To Make Free DIY Paint Chip Artwork | Little Green Bow

What a great idea! And you just can't beat the price :0)

Thanks so much for taking part in our Pin'Inspiration Party. Hope that you are having as much fun exploring as I am and that you'll take part in helping the "Beat the Winter Blues" on Saturday.

These look great. I love paint chip art!

• Judy P
    • February 8, 2012

Am I the only person in the USA who thinks it's rude to raid the paint chip display? Even though it is "free", the purpose of the chips is to help you match or decide which color of paint to buy. Not for you to create a work of art which inspires 10,000 other people to create a "work of art" with "free" paint chips. Does a person ask permission to raid the counter? Do they really not care? I don't know, just askin' .

I think raiding is a bit of an overstatement. This project only took about 15 paint chips. I've taken way more when actually looking for paint colors (which I usually recycle into something fun and creative). Plus, I'm flattered that you would think I could inspire 10,000 people to create something similar.

• Amy
    • February 8, 2012

OMGoodness, I love it!! I have a hundred and fifty-seven paint chips from waaay back when we bought our place. I’ve kept them in case I want to paint again, but I am digging into that stash and coming up with something for that blank space in the loft!! Thank you for sharing this! I’m pinning it!! And thank you for your sweet words on my blog. :)

ha! I love how specific you are about the number of paint chips you have leftover. Good luck turning them into something fun, creative and beautiful. I'd love to see how it turns out! Thanks for the pin too!

awesome love it

Beautiful bathroom!!! You did a great job!

These look great! This is an awesome way to get a large piece of artwork for free!! For awhile, I was struggling with what to put over my bed. Now, when I redo the space, I'll remember to put together something like this.

Thanks for sharing this on the Take it on Tuesday blog hop! I'll be pinning this!

Thank you! Yeah, you really could do this at any size. I bet it would be really cute on canvas with a layer of mod podge on top too. Thanks for pinning!

Love it! Looks so contemporary, especially with those frames! Perfection!

Thank you for stopping by and for the very kind words!

• Jane
    • February 6, 2012

Hi Deanna!
    I just adore this art! I had to feature it on my blog (there is NO way I can't!) :) feel free to drop by and grab a button! :)
    -Jane @ urbanejane.com

Thank you so much! I’ve added your button to my sidebar. Cheers!

This is probably one of my favorite things I've seen done with paint chips. Very nice. Love the colors you used, too. So soothing and tranquil. Would be delighted for you to link up to my Mop It Up Mondays Party: http://www.ishouldbemoppingthefloor.com/2012/02/m

{HUGS},
    kristi

Thank you for your kind words! It was nice to be able to match the chips to the shower curtain.

Such a great idea to create artwork with paint chips. Like you said, it's free, and the the colour possibilities are literally endless!

Thanks! I literally took my shower curtain in with me to the hardware store and matched it. They make it too easy to find the right colors. whoo hoo!

Found this on Pinterest last night before I went through and read my blogs this morning! Great idea! I like your inspiration too. The whole paint chips thing is just brilliant.

oooooh. Big smiley face for seeing it on Pinterest first! I've been getting great traffic from there which makes me an even bigger fan. Thanks!

I know, right?!? I told my husband that it's weird to have such an affinity toward a shower curtain, but I really do LOVE it! It makes me smile every time I walk into the room.