How we Celebrated Valentine’s Day at Home

February 16, 2012, In: creative DIY ideas

I was feeling a little bah hum buggy after my valentine post I posted on Tuesday so I wanted to share with you what we actually did for the holiday. The funny thing is, I was kinda into it this year, so I’m not sure what prompted the surly post this week. I just wanted to plan something a bit different for me and the hubby. No traditional flowers and chocolates or dinner out at a nice restaurant for us.

Instead, we came up with a creative way to celebrate Valentines Day at home and camped out in the living room! We had received a tent and sleeping bags as wedding gifts, but did not get a chance to go camping last summer because all of our stuff was in a storage unit. However, since the weather is a big cold out (it is the middle of February in Colorado after all) we decided to have a more luxurious camp out at home, complete with s’mores!

We set up the tent with a bit of a Moroccan theme – think lots of pillows and twinkle lights – so that we could eat on the floor, make s’mores in the fireplace, and enjoy cuddling up to a movie. It was a nice retreat and a good way for us to make the holiday special.

I think kids would have a blast doing this too! They’d probably want to sleep in the tent though (remember how cool living room forts were when you were little?!?), while us adults were smart enough to get a good night’s sleep in our own bed just a few steps away.

How about you? What did you do to celebrate Valentine’s Day?

I’m linking here:

Whipperberry | ShabbyNest | Be Different, Act Normal | I Can’t Stop Crafting | Lolly Jane Boutique | Family Ever After | The Creative Paige | 5 Days, 5 Ways | I Heart Nap Time | C.R.A.F.T | Sew Can Do | Lamb Around | Keeping It Simple | Under the Table & Dreaming |Skip to My Lou | Nifty Thrifty Things | Petite Hermine | Home Stories A2Z | Romance on a Dime | A Bowl Full of Lemons | Homework | Tip Junkie | Lil Luna | Ginger Snap Crafts | It’s Overflowing | Night Owl Crafting | The Shady Porch | Junk in Their Trunk | Uncommon | The Artsy Girl Connection | Fabulously Flawed | Delightful Order | Between U & Me | Homemaker on a Dime | Today’s Creative Blog | One Artsy Mama

I love this. It is so cozy and romantic! I would love if you would share with my readers on Blog Stalking Thursday! http://thecraftyblogstalker.blogspot.com/2012/02/

I SUPER DUUUPER ADORE this.. Sooo dreamy and romantic.. Pinned it and would LOVE to have you link again today.. Thanks SO much for sharing.. YOU are FEATURED!! Wishing ya a lovely evening.. ;))

So fun! We use to love camping in the living room next to the fireplace but since we've moved we don't have one …really miss it now! Thanks for sharing at the Rock 'N Share!

4. Pingback: Take it on Tuesday Blog Hop #18: Kitchen Sneak-Peak « Romance on a Dime

• kelly
    • February 26, 2012

This is great. A different idea. Might try this for one of our date nights.

Kelly

This is so cool and not only great for Valentine's but any day you want to celebrate with your loved one. I pinned it and would love for you to link up on my linky party going on right now at http://www.thesweettalkshop.com/2012/02/sweettalk
    Come on by!!

6. Pingback: {nifty thrifty things} » {nifty thrifty sunday #46}

• Maria
    • February 25, 2012

Awww this is such a cute idea!!!!! Love all the twinkle lights, makes it look so magical!

How cute is that! I love the touch of the lights!

I would like to invite you to link up at my first link party going on now. I hope to see you there. http://littlebeckyhomecky.blogspot.com/2012/02/fa

Katie @ Little Becky Homecky

• Katie
    • February 23, 2012
    • Cath
    • February 23, 2012

This idea is so romantic! My favourite Valentine's idea ever! I am in love with your blog and am now a new linky follower!
    xo Cath

8. Pingback: 30 for 30 recap – days 12 – 18 | Little Green Bow

• Sarah
    • February 22, 2012

Oh my gosh this is the cutest thing! I totally want to do this with my hubby now! It looks so cozy in there with that fuzzy blanket & the sting of lights. Aww cutest idea ever!

Thanks! It was a great night.

That looks so much more comfortable than actually camping! I like this idea a lot!! Looks cozy. I'm glad you had a good time for V-Day. I'll be pinning this for sure.

thanks for linking up to the Take it on Tuesday blog hop!!

Yep, sure was more comfortable that actually camping, especially this time of year!! Thanks for the pin and hosting the party!

this is amazing! That would put a smile on anyone's face for Valentine's Day :) I love twinkle lights…always.

Aren't twinkle lights great?!?

• homemaderenegade
    • February 21, 2012

Love it! So creative! Thanks for sharing. http://www.thehomemaderenegade.com

• angie
    • February 20, 2012

what a sweet and romantic dwelling come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

One of the best Valentine's ideas I have seen! i am stopping by from the blog hop…great blog!

This is precious….totally my idea of a perfect date! Would be delighted for you to link up with us over at Mop It Up Mondays (at i should be mopping the floor): http://www.ishouldbemoppingthefloor.com/2012/02/m

Have a great week!
    {HUGS},
    kristi

• Katie
    • February 19, 2012

So much fun. We love camping out in the living room as well.

• Abbie
    • February 18, 2012

This is such a creative idea! I love it! Thanks so much for linking up at Feature Friday FREE-FOR-ALL!

How sweet!! I bought my hubby a new tent for his birthday so that would be a fun date night!

• Fiona Schlachter
    • February 17, 2012

Lovely way to spend the day together. I made a heart shaped pizza. :)

I saw your heart shaped pizza on Facebook. It was super cute and turned out great!

So cute! I love the idea. glad you enjoyed! 😉

• Nikki
    • February 17, 2012

that is precious! What a great idea and how sweet and unique. I love it! hope you guys had fun camping!

Thank you! We did have fun "camping".

• amy
    • February 17, 2012

Aww, that’s so sweet! I love your romantic setup! We’ve done “camping” in the living room with our 3 year old before, and it’s so much fun; just makes being at home feel extra special and adventurous! Would you pretty please consider sharing this here at my party?

It was fun! I'm all linked up at your party. Thanks for the invite.

• karahill
    • February 17, 2012

Oh that looks so cozy! That had to be fun!

It sure was. I'd definitely recommend it!

What a cute idea. That tent looks awesome!

Thanks! It was something different to do this year since I wasn't in the mood to fight the crowds.