diy marshmallows

March 15, 2012, In: Delicious Recipes

Okay. I know my DIY posts normally revolve around furniture, pillows, or other home decor, but why couldn’t DIY relate to any items you normally buy out, including food? I thought it fit well so today I made homemade marshmallows and I want to show you how to make them too.

Now let me tell you…these are YUMMY! I’m pretty sure I’ll be buying marshmallows from the store again because these were a little time consuming, but they are a great treat and perfect to make for Easter.

I found the recipe through Mangoes & Chutney, who got it from Smitten Kitchen, who got it from Epicurious. I know, a bit confusing, but I gotta give credit the best way I know how. And if it’s been passed around this much, it must be good. If you want to continue the recipe chain, I’ve posted it at the bottom of this post. But, enough already…let’s just get to the yummy photos!

Boiling Sugar to Make Homemade Marshmallows

Boil the sugar. I do not have a candy thermometer so I went by the time posted in the recipe.

Homemade DIY Marshmallows

Whip the boiled sugar mixture with the gelatin until it is fluffy and tripled in size.

Homemade Marshmallow

Pour the marshmallow mixture into the pan. I have to admit I felt a bit like Willy Wonka.

One Big Marshmallow

Dust the top of the pan with powdered sugar and prove you have will power by not digging right in.

homemade marshmallow

Use a sharp knife to cut the marshmallow into cubes. Dust each side with powdered sugar.

Pile of homemade marshmallows

All your hard work will result in a yummy stack of homemade marshmallows!

S'more with Homemade Marshmallows

Of course we had to make s’mores…

S'more with homemade marshmallows

…which were super yummy, gooey, and messy!

Here’s the recipe:

Ingredients:
About 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
3 envelopes unflavored gelatin
1 cup cold water, divided
2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large egg whites
1 tablespoon vanilla

Directions:
Spray bottom and sides of a 13- by 9- by 2-inch rectangular metal baking pan and dust bottom and sides with some confectioners’ sugar. To cut sweetness, use a blend of confectioner’s sugar and cornstarch.

In bowl of a standing electric mixer or in a large bowl sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup cold cold water, and let stand while you make the marshmallow mixture.

In a 3-quart heavy saucepan cook granulated sugar, corn syrup, second 1/2 cup of cold water, and salt over low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, until sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to moderate and boil mixture, without stirring, until a candy or digital thermometer registers 240°F, about 12 minutes. Remove pan from heat and pour sugar mixture over gelatin mixture, stirring until gelatin is dissolved.

With standing or a hand-held electric mixer beat mixture on high speed until white, thick, and nearly tripled in volume, about six minutes if using standing mixer or about 10 minutes if using hand-held mixer.

In separate medium bowl beat egg whites until they just hold stiff peaks. Beat whites and vanilla (or your choice of flavoring) into sugar mixture until just combined. Pour mixture into baking pan and sift 1/4 cup confectioners sugar evenly over top. Let marshmallow sit, uncovered, until firm, at least three hours, and up to one day.

Run a thin knife around edges of pan and invert pan onto a large cutting board. Lifting up one corner of inverted pan, with fingers loosen marshmallow and ease onto cutting board. With a large knife trim edges of marshmallow and cut marshmallow into roughly one-inch cubes.

Sift remaining confectioners’ over the marshmallows on all six sides, before shaking off the excess and packing them away. Marshmallows keep in an airtight container at cool room temperature 1 week.

I’m linking here:

Whipperberry | Tatertots & Jello | ShabbyNest | Be Different, Act Normal | Lolly Jane Boutique | Family Ever After | The Creative Paige | 5 Days, 5 Ways | I Heart Nap Time | C.R.A.F.T | Sew Can Do | Keeping It Simple | Under the Table & Dreaming |Skip to My Lou | Nifty Thrifty Things | Petite Hermine | Home Stories A2Z | Romance on a Dime | A Bowl Full of Lemons | Homework | Tip Junkie | Lil Luna | Ginger Snap Crafts | It’s Overflowing | Night Owl Crafting | The Shady Porch | Junk in Their Trunk | Uncommon | The Artsy Girl Connection | Fabulously Flawed | Delightful Order | Between U & Me | Today’s Creative Blog | One Artsy Mama | Miss Mustard Seed | Classy Clutter | Decorating Insanity | Craft-O-Maniac | Goings on in Texas | Sew Chatty | The Girl Creative | Making the World Cuter | DIY Home Sweet Home | Vintage Mauve | Singing 3 Little Birds | Sugar Bee Crafts | The Creative Crate | Feathered Nest | How to Nest for Less

These look AMAZING!!! Happy SITS Day :)
    My recent post Tried and True: Blackberry Vanilla Syrup

Thank you. And yes, they were pretty amazing and mighty yuumy.

• Kim
    • April 28, 2012

Wonder if this could be done with Splenda for diabetic friends

Well this is just fantastic. I will be making these with our grandchildren for certain. thank you for sharing xo

You are more than welcome. Thank you and have fun!

3. Pingback: Take it on Tuesday: Project Declutter « Romance on a Dime

These look so much better than my first attempt at marshmallows!

I'd like to invite you to Sweet & Simple Sunday at Cups by Kim.

Aww, thanks! And thanks for the invite. Sorry I have not gotten a chance to stop by yet, but I definitely will soon!

These look really good!! They do look time consuming, but sometimes it's just fun to have a time consuming cooking project. I love working in the kitchen. Plus, this is even something you could do with a friend (that way you would eat less marshmallows).

Thanks for linking up to Romance on a Dime! I'm pinning this!

I love getting lost in the kitchen sometimes! Thanks for the pin!

• Maysem
    • March 19, 2012

Ooo…those look yum!! I LOVE s'mores!! I've always wanted to try making my own marshmallows…one day I shall:P It's on my to do list..hehe:D

You totally can. The recipe is not too difficult; just time consuming and messy. But, it's fun to get powdered sugar everywhere (or am I the only one that thinks that?). If you want something even easier, try searching for a marshmallow recipe that does not ask for eggs and save yourself one full step. Good luck!

These look super yummy! I will definitely have to make them sometime. Maybe my husband will actually like smores…

He doesn't like s'mores now? How is that possible?

• Lisa
    • March 19, 2012

I can't wait to try this recipe! I'd love for you to share this at Mix it up Monday:

I hope to see you soon :)

Thank for the invitation Lisa!

Yum! This looks so good! Marshmallows are one of my favorite things.:)

• Rose
    • March 19, 2012

I had no idea you could make your own marshmallows. I found you blog via Linky party and I think you have a great blog. I'm following you and I hope you can come to my blog and follow me too. @ http://www.arosiesweethome.com/
    Also I have tagged you as a Wonderful Blogger
    Come see @ http://www.arosiesweethome.com/2012/03/i-have-bee

Thanks Rose! You have a super cute blog. I am honored you included me on your Wonderful Blogger list!

Awesome tutorial and I'll bet the marshmallows are wonderful! Especially with such a distinguished lineage! I would love it if you would consider linking to Busy Monday at A Pinch of Joy, a Sunday through Thursday link party for ideas that make life easier, better and more fun!

Thank you for the kind words and for the invitation!

I've been dying to make my own marshmallows!
    Thanks so much for sharing this great recipe.

You are welcome! Good luck and I'd love to hear how they turn out.

• Jodi
    • March 18, 2012

I received a pack of marshmallow mix that seems way more complicated than this recipe. I'm excited to try it. What a fun idea.

I'm always a fan of going as fresh as possible and since these are pretty easy, I'd definitely recommend trying it. If you want to make it even easier, you can search for a recipe without eggs and cut out a whole step.

Woah! This is awesome. Is it crazy that I didn't know you could make marshmallows at home?! hahaha Going to have to try them now. :)

You totally should! They are pretty easy to make, but messy. I think I had powdered sugar everywhere!

• SaraC
    • March 18, 2012

I make these way too often :) If you cut them with a pizza wheel, it's even easier!! Try adding 3/4 tsp peppermint extract with the vanilla around the holidays for peppermint marshmallows :)

good tips! I love the idea of adding different extracts for the different seasons.

Homemade Marshmallows?!? Who knew?!? This is amazing! :)
    I hope you'll share this post with my "Unveil Your Genius" Link Party! http://taylornorris.blogspot.com/2012/03/unveil-y

Happy Weekend!! :)

I know, right! They are super yummy and I highly recommend making them. Thanks for the invitation too!

Oooh… these look so good!

Thanks Shannon! Yep…they are super yummy!

Thank you! They are super light and fluffy – the perfect sweet bite when you want just a bit of a sweet treat.