May challenge – campfire cooking

May 24, 2012, In: personal experiments

Well, it’s almost the end of May and I still haven’t talked about a personal experiment/challenge yet. Not to mention that I totally missed April. Yikes! I guess it’s time to fix that. Turns out that we’re planning to go camping this weekend – something I am actually really excited about. And not camping in a trailer with showers either.

You see, Brett and I would like to be able to camp in the (somewhat) wilderness. It’s pretty easy to do here near Boulder, CO. There are tons of places to go tent camping, which is actually called disbursement camping or boon docking (Thank you Internet! I had not been able to find the types of campsites we were looking for because I was searching for actual campsites.) We went once last summer and it was so much fun.

We both think it would be cool to have some survival skills and camping is a good way to start learning. Now, I must say that we will still be bringing our food in, but it’s a step in the right direction. It would be really cool if we could take a survival course this summer too. Perhaps that could be another challenge? But, I digress.

campfire cooking - May Challenge

hopefully our fire will be a bit more controlled

I’ve decided to make cooking by fire my challenge for May. Not sure what type of facilities they will have at our campground/site this weekend because our friends made the plans and we’ve never been there. I think this first weekend will be baby steps, but we’ll see.

Wish me luck! I’ll be sure to post photos, updates and recipes when I can because I am not sure of the Internet or phone service situation where we’re going. In all honesty, I would LOVE it if we had to be disconnected. That’s the whole point, right?

Photos by: Jay Mullhaupt and Cape Cod Cyclist

1. Your comment is awaiting moderation.

This is difficult, possibly impossible, to discuss

in written kind all the ruses accessible to the

psychic.

I love campfire cooking! You can make some great no-knead breads that are yummy! Plus have you ever tried cake mix in an orange? It goes straight into the coals and it makes a yummy individual orange cake, yum!

The cake is one of the recipes I’m planning to try this weekend. Super excited about it!

We never did get to the cake because the weather was not that great and we left a day early. Boo! Oh well, the eggs I made in an orange shell were so great that I cannot wait for our next trip to try the cake.
        My recent post foil dinners around the campfire

I'm from Colorado and we camp all the time. Love it! And nothing better than a meal cooked over a campfire, in my opinion. And the setting? under the stars? how can you beat that? Stopping by from SITS – we get around on a harley a lot too so your gravitar with the biker helmet caught my eye. Have fun this weekend!
    My recent post you’re getting older

Love it! And I totally agree. I'd also love to hear some of your favorite places to go camping. I'm sure there are some secret ones you don't want to share, but as a newbie, any must-see places would be great!

• karahill
    • May 25, 2012

Sounds so fun!! I could probably survive on smores…but let me know all the goodness you make! Enjoy!

Me too! I'm pretty excited for a few of the things we're planning…

Have fun! I cannot wait to go camping this summer. I am always torn between campsite camping versus disbursement camping. I really prefer to have an outhouse but some of my best trips are times when we have been in the middle of no where! Can't wait to hear about it!

You're going to have to let me know any great places that we need to check out here! So excited to get outdoors this summer!