Back in September, my husband and I built our very first piece of furniture. It was a dining table modeled after the Pottery Barn Hyde line. It was much easier to put together than expected and since then I have received several requests for detailed plans on how we put it together. Well, the day has finally arrived!

Pottery Barn Dining Table DIY

The plans were put together using Google SketchUp and while I tried my hardest to keep all of the measurements exact, sometimes the program just would not work with me. So please follow the measurements and do not rely solely on the photos.

These plans are modified from the Tryde Coffee Table plans posted on Ana-White.

Dimensions:

71″ wide x 35″ wide x 30″ tall

Supplies List:

2 1/2″ Screws
2 – 4×4 posts 8′ length (we used the left overs for the bench)
3 – 1×4 8′ length boards
2 – 2×2 8′ length boards
1- 2×6 8′ length board
10 – 2×4 8′ length boards
Sandpaper (100, 150, and 220)
Wood putty (we left the screws exposed and they still look great)
Stain, varnish, paint or other finishing product
Paint brush
Tools:
measuring tape
square
pencil
hammer
safety glasses
hearing protection
mitre saw (or have the hardware store cut your wood for you)
drill
sander
Cut List:
A) 4 – 4×4 Posts @ 28 1/2″ (Legs)
B) 2 – 1×4 @ 29 1/2″ (Leg Joiners)
C) 2 – 1×4 @ 57 1/2″ (Side Aprons)
D) 4 – 1×4 @ 2 1/2″ (End Apron Spacer)
E) 2 – 1×4 @ 24″ (End Aprons)
F) 4 – 2×2 @ 29 1/2″ (Tabletop Supports)
G) 2 – 2×6 @ 35″ (Breadboard Ends)
H) 10 – 2×4 @ approx. 60 3/4″ (Tabletop Pieces – Measure the table before cutting these boards)
Instructions:

Cut out all boards except H. To get the best fit, you will measure and precisely cut out each of the boards H to fit the table. Remember, use the 2 1/2″ screws unless otherwise noted and always predrill and countersink your screws. Use glue on all joints to keep the table from separating later.

Step 1: Screw the Leg Joiner (B) to the legs (A) as shown below. Do this on both sets of legs. Use the measurements below to guide you.

DIY Dining Table

Step 2: Screw the side aprons (C) into the ends of the leg joiners (B) as shown below.

Make your own dining table

Step 3: Screw the end apron spacers (D)  into the legs as shown below.

Make a Hyde Dining Table from scratch

Check for square. Measure from one end diagonally across the table. Then measure on the other diagonal. If the measurements are the same, your table is square. If not, evaluate where you are off and make the necessary corrections.

Step 4: Screw the end aprons (E) into the end apron spacers as shown below.

DIY Pottery Barn Table

Step 5: Screw in the tabletop supports (F) as shown below, spacing the supports approx. 9″ apart.

Build a Dining Table

Step 6: Now screw the breadboard ends into the tops of the legs as shown below. The edge of the breadboard is centered on the leg.

DIY Dining Table - Pottery Barn Knockoff

Step 7: Take a length measurement between the breadboard ends. Be very precise and cut your first tabletop board (H). Place the board with one edge centered on the table and screw in place from the bottom through the supports (F). (The board should not be centered as it appears to be in the image)

Build a Dining Table

Step 8: Continue to measure and cut the tabletop boards for the top of the table. Repeat step 7. This time, make sure the edges of the tabletop boards line up. Do not leave gap between the tabletop boards. Use clamps to keep boards together.

Build your own PotteryBarn Table

Step 9: Stand back and admire your beautiful table. Time to send out the dinner invitations!

DIY Dining Table - Pottery Barn Knockoff

Our table (pictured below) was stained using Minwax in Jacobean. There are three coats of stain and three coats of polyurethane. It makes me so proud every time someone new comes over and compliments it before they know we built it.

DIY Dining Table - Pottery Barn Knockoff

Update: The bench plans are now available! Check them out to build your own DIY Dining Table Bench.

I’m linking here:

Whipperberry | Tatertots & Jello | ShabbyNest | Be Different, Act Normal | Lolly Jane Boutique | Family Ever After | The Creative Paige | 5 Days, 5 Ways | I Heart Nap Time | C.R.A.F.T | Sew Can Do | Keeping It Simple | Under the Table & Dreaming |Skip to My Lou | Nifty Thrifty Things | Petite Hermine | Home Stories A2Z | Romance on a Dime | A Bowl Full of Lemons | Homework | Tip Junkie | Lil Luna | Ginger Snap Crafts | It’s Overflowing | Night Owl Crafting | The Shady Porch | Junk in Their Trunk | Uncommon | The Artsy Girl Connection | Fabulously Flawed | Delightful Order | Between U & Me | Today’s Creative Blog | One Artsy Mama | Miss Mustard Seed | Classy Clutter | Decorating Insanity | Craft-O-Maniac | Goings on in Texas | Sew Chatty | The Girl Creative | Making the World Cuter | DIY Home Sweet Home | Vintage Mauve | Singing 3 Little Birds | Sugar Bee Crafts | The Creative Crate | Feathered Nest | How to Nest for Less | Mrs. Hines Class

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

41 comments on “detailed diy dining table plans

1. keblon19 on said:

WOw this nice, thanks for the instruction you post in here I will try this at home..
    My recent post helping business owners

2. MeganSweeney on said:

Looooove this table and loved eating at it too:)

3. Jenny on said:

What a beautiful table! Very impressive that you built it yourselves- and that it was your first project! Well done. I'm always amazed at people who have the time and talent to complete beautiful projects like this. Sadly, I have neither but I love seeing what others can do. Thanks for stopping by on my SITS day. xx

4. Misti on said:

Love it! We're planning to make a table soon, too! I'm going to pin it so I can look over your plans when we're ready!
    My recent post What's on Your Counter?

5. Amber on said:

BEAUTIFUL table!!!

6. This is stunning! What type of wood did you use?

• The table was made with standard 2x4s, 2x6s and 4×4 posts from Home Depot. I think it was all pine, but as our first DIY piece we were not very selective and went with the less expensive pieces. Sorry I do not have a straight answer. Hope that helps. Cheers!

• Jamie G on said:

I have been looking around for types of wood to use for this project. I see you used pine – does your table mark easily? I’ve been advised against pine because of that reason from lowes and another lumber company. They of course are suggesting Oak or some other equally expensive wood. I want this table to last a while though. Thanks!

• Bob W. on said:

Jamie. Consider that using pine will cost less and that even if you have scrapes and some dents over time, it is easy to work with and refinish the top. Or you could even just make a new top. After you have made one table you will be an expert and it will be much easier. With that said, you can find some really beautiful hard woods to use, but even they will show wear over time. With the additional cost of the wood you might get a more pleasant looking piece, but it lasts a long time and can also be reworked if you can’t stand the imperfections of normal wear. You could always just cover the marred area with a placemat….

7. I’m in the process of building a table based on this design but with extensions that will go in the ends to make it bigger for company. I have completed assembling it but now we are on to sanding, probably forever and ever it seems. :)

Thanks so much for sharing your plans! I was really looking for a table that didn’t use pocket screws. This was perfect! And easier to make than it was to install our laminate flooring!

8. Monica on said:

I will be following these instructions EXACTLY this weekend. I’m pretty excited. I just have a couple of questions:

1. you said “Remember, use the 2 3/4″ screws unless otherwise noted…” but youve listed 2 1/2″ screws in the supplies list. Did you mean 2 1/2″?

I was also wondering how many qts of stain did you end up using for 3 coats? And last but not least do you by any chance have instructions on your bench as well. I live in a cottage type house in the mountains and think my space would lend itself beautifully to two bench seats.

I absolutely LOVE this table. I’d be happy if I did half as good a job as you and your husband did!!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING THIS!

• Deanna on said:

Monica,
      Thank you for the nice compliments! Yes, I did mean the 2 1/2” screws. I’ll have to fix that. As for the stain I think I only used one quart, but at the most it would have been 2. I’m sorry I do not have plans for the benches yet. I’d like to post them soon, but have not found the time. It was made the same way as the table so maybe I can at least send you the final measurements. Good luck and I cannot wait to hear how it turns out!

• Would love the dimensions for the bench also, we have a familyof six and sometimes seven. Do you feel there is roomon the ends for chairs or should I go longer on length?

• Monica,

9. Hi, I’m curious about the strength of the joints for the leg joiners (B) and side aprons (C). I’m wondering if its better to use dowel pins instead of screws to join the legs together.

Is your table very sturdy with those screw joints? If you put a lot of weight or sit on the table does it feel completely stable?

Thanks!

• Deanna on said:

Paul,
      I am sure wood dowels would be the more correct way to make the joints, but as this was the first piece of wood furniture we ever made, we wanted to keep it easy. That said, the table is definitely sturdy (and heavy). We have not sat on it, but I have put heavy things on it and never questioned if it would hold.

• Deanna on said:

Paul,
        Not sure where your comment disappeared to, but you asked if we glued the pieces together and then waited for them to dry before screwing them together. The answer is no. We put glue on the pieces and then screwed them together while wet. This made it so we did not need clamps, which was helpful on our first project. Hope that helps. Good luck and I’d love to hear how your piece turns out!

10. Thanks for your answer :) Just one more question – you say to glue the joints – did you put glue on pieces B and C and let it dry before putting in the screws? Thanks!

11. Hi Deanna,

I made my table this weekend and it turned out really well, joints are very strong and it looks great! I’m starting to read up on finishes now and was hoping to bug you a bit more.

Which color of minwax finish did you use on your table? It looks really good.

Did you sand in between each coat of polyurethane? Did you need all 3 coats of polyurethane to get your nice glossy look?

• Deanna on said:

So happy to hear your table turned out well!

We used Minwax stain in Jacobean. It looks really dark when it goes on, but the wood shows through nicely when you wipe it off. Yes, we did use three coats of polyurethane and sanded with fine sandpaper in between coats. I think we used 220 grit.

12. I would love bench dimensions too please!! Just finished sanding tonight and I can’t wait to stain! Thank you for the great plans!

13. Wow! What a beautiful piece, and I love the can-do attitude of this project and everything on your blog! I will live through you vicariously until we’ve settled down into a place where we’re not going to pick up and move any month. Totally inspiring :)

14. Allison on said:

My boyfriend and I are starting to make this table. We would love the dimensions for the bench, too, if you have them.

• Allison on said:

Also, did you stain before our after assembly?

• Allison,

Sorry for the delay. The plans for the bench are finally available! Check them out here: http://littlegreenbow.com/2013/02/diy-dining-benc…. To answer your question about the stain, we waited until we assembled the table and bench before staining. If it was a piece we wanted to put outside, I would stain and seal all pieces before assembly.

15. Amanda on said:

I LOVE this table! I had been looking @ similar ones online and in local stores and they were wanting $250+ and I am not willing to pay that much for something I know my toddler will destroy. Thank you!

• Deanna on said:

Thank you! I can't wait to hear/see how it turns out.

• Leah Marie on said:

Can you tell me how much it cost for you to make the table and benches?

Thank you.

• I think the total for both pieces would be around $100 for the materials. That includes the wood, screws, wood glue, sand paper, wood conditioner, stain and polyurethane. Of course you need to have some tools to complete the project so there will be an initial cost to get started, but you could always rent the tools or see if the lumber yard can cut the pieces for you.

16. Josh on said:

Did you use a wood conditioner prior to the stain?

17. John Freeman on said:

Should D not be 2-3/4 in. to fill the gap?

18. Courtney Naif on said:

Hi, I love your table, I am making it this weekend!!! I have a concern, though. I see the (g) 2×6 are 35″. But you have 10 2×4′s laid across which equals 45″. Is this correct? I’m confused, wondering if the 10 2×4′s will match up to the (g) breadboard lengths of 35″. I was also wondering, if possible, could I use 5- 2×8′s instead of the 10- 2×4. Thanks so much!!! :)

19. Love this! How long did it take to create?

20. Meghan on said:

I am trying to build this table longer and and 1″ shorter. I am trying to figure out my cut lengths and am confused about the C piece if your table is 71″ long you have the C pieces at 57 1/2″ long which is making your table apron 5 1/2 ” shorter than the top do you think this would apply as a good guide to any size table? Also since B is only leaving a 3/4″ gap where C goes does C overhang by 1/4″ on the legs? Sorry if these seem silly questions this will be my first building project and I am using wood already purchased, trying to adjust to wood size.

21. what is the average cost of these supplies. I know it may vary, but could you give me a guestimate?