One of the fun food traditions my husband grew up with was Pizza Sunday. His family would always share a pizza or two on Sunday night and it has been a tradition we have easily adopted to our family.
I love these kinds of traditions and routines because it helps tremendously in the weekly planning process. With so much going on, one set food day makes it that much easier to find a recipe. While we often revert to a more traditional pie, I like to mix things up every so often and throw in a new flavor combination.
There have been many mac n cheese pizza recipes making the rounds lately, but I wanted to add more heft and nutrition. Brett loves mac n chicken too so I took that idea and ran with it. The result was a delicious pizza that the whole family enjoyed. Anyone else over the moon thrilled when their toddler gobbles up the dinner they are served? I can’t be the only one over here!?!?
The pizza came together pretty quickly and you could easily substitute a quick cook mac n cheese if you are in even more of a rush. On another note, you could easily substitute rotisserie chicken for the canned chicken or if you have a lot of time, you could also cook your own chicken to be shredded.
Here’s the recipe for mac n chicken pizza if you want to make this for your family this week.
Mac N Chicken Pizza
A delicious and cheese take on two family favorites.
- Boxed mac n cheese (I used Annie’s original)
- Butter and milk per mac n cheese instructions
- pizza crust (I used a pizza crust mix, but you could use refrigerated or make your own)
- 10 oz shredded chicken (I used Costco’s canned chicken. Love this stuff.)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used mozzarella, but you could use any cheese)
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Adjust this temperature to accommodate your pizza crust of choice.
- Cook mac n cheese according to directions on box. While the pasta is cooking, mix up your pizza crust dough if using a mix and let sit for 5 minutes as suggested on the box. When the dough is ready, use a rolling pin to roll it out into a circle. Next melt the tablespoon of butter and mix with the breadcrumbs. Set aside.
- When pasta is finished cooking, drain and finish mac n cheese according to directions. Set aside.
- Place your formed pizza dough onto a baking sheet or heated pizza stone. Cover the pizza dough with the shredded chicken. Top with mac n cheese followed by the mozzarella cheese. Finally, top with the breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake for 9-13 minutes or until crust is crispy and pizza is heated through.
- Feel free to substitute as you see fit. Use your favorite pizza crust and try this with rotisserie chicken if you prefer.
Little Green Bow http://littlegreenbow.com/
Don’t forget to pin this recipe so that you have it at your fingertips when you’re ready to make it.