Easy Chicken Enchilada Recipe
Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas Weeknight Dinner Recipe
This chicken enchilada recipe is a perfectly easy weeknight dinner that is sure to please your whole family. Growing up in California, my family often ate Mexican inspired dishes and it’s something I have continued with my family. I keep the spice level to a minimum as our daughter does not enjoy spicy dishes yet, but it is very easy to turn up the heat if that’s your thing.
How to Make Chicken Enchiladas
These chicken enchiladas come together quickly and easily. That’s why I included them in my first Capsule Meal Plan cookbook. They are made with shredded chicken, but you could easily substitute ground beef or turkey. I have purposely kept the ingredient simple to please everyone and make it easy for you to prepare without taking too much time.
Enchiladas are as easy as mixing up the filling ingredients – chicken, beans, onions, sauce, and some cheese. This filling is then spooned into a tortilla, wrapped up, and topped with more cheese before baking. See…it really is not too hard.
Interested in a whole week of family dinners that only require 20 ingredients to make? Grab a free copy of the Capsule Meal Plan Cookbook that includes this Chicken Enchilada Recipe and 6 others your family will love.
Recipe Tips & Tricks
I’ve already said that enchiladas are easy to make so it shouldn’t surprise you that you won’t need much for this recipe.
My biggest tip would be to prepare the chicken ahead of time if you’re working through the Capsule Meal Plan cookbook for the week. That will help you when making the BBQ chicken pizza, loaded sweet potatoes, chicken quesadillas, and chicken mac n cheese later in the week.
And on to the recipe…
Easy Chicken Enchiladas
- 2 cups chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 1/4 onion thinly sliced
- 1 14 oz. can kidney or black beans drained and rinsed
- 8 flour tortillas
- 1 14 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- Sour cream optional
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a bowl, mix the tomato sauce and taco seasoning to make an enchilada sauce. (You can purchased canned red or green enchilada sauce to use instead.)
- Mix cooked chicken, sliced onion, beans, 1/2 cheese, and 1/2 enchilada sauce from step 2.
- On each tortilla, layer 1/8th of the chicken mixture and roll up.
- Place each rolled tortilla seam down in a casserole dish (coated with a thin layer of sauce on the bottom to prevent sticking)
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the enchiladas are hot and bubbling. Serve with sour cream, if desired.